July 13, 2005

False sense of security?

Last night I was out having dinner in a local establishment and happened to see KOLO-TV run a piece on the Lyon County Sheriff's Department which had spent the day fingerprinting children. I am sure you have seen such programs before. Parents, concerned over recent news reports of abducted children, line up in malls and outside grocery stores to have their children fingerprinted. Said fingerprint card is handed over to said parent. Said parent tucks card away for safe keeping, and then heaves a sigh of relief, believing her child is safe from harm.

Frankly, I don't really have any objection to these programs per se. I mean, they can't hurt, right? But what do they do to actually protect our children? And I'm curious to know, how much LCSD money is going toward this project which will do nothing, I repeat, nothing, to protect our kids from abduction? Seriously, what does this do but give some parents a false sense of security?

And is abduction really the biggest threat to our kids? Is that what keeps most of us up at night? I don't know about you, but I worry about the high cost of health care and the ability to provide for my family. I worry about the lack of after school care programs that give our kids a safe place to go. I worry about the meth lab that got raided other side of town and the scourge that meth use has become in rural counties all over the country. I worry more about a ballooning federal deficit that has forced cuts in programs that help our kids. I worry about the lack of good paying jobs. I worry that my daughter will be among the first generation of Americans that didn't have a better standard of living than the generation that came before her.

No comments: