February 17, 2006

I was hungry and you ignored me...

I got nothing to say here. The article says it all.

Food bank learns of seniors' program cut

Officials at the Food Bank of Northern Nevada are crying foul after learning the federal Commodity Supplemental Food Program was eliminated in President Bush's 2007 proposed budget.

"We already knew the program would be cut nationwide by 9 percent in 2006, but we never expected that the whole program would be eliminated," Dan Clift, Food Bank commodity distribution manager, said in a statement. "This is a life-saving program for many poor, elderly people in northern Nevada, and it will be devastating to them."

The program began operating locally in July 2003. Food bank data show that 4,838 people were served with 31,318 nutritionally balanced food boxes at 37 sites last fiscal year. About 90 percent of participants were low-income senior citizens. The remaining recipients were low-income families.


'For I was hungry and you gave me food; I was thirsty and you gave me drink; I was a stranger and you made me welcome; naked and you clothed me, sick and you visited me, in prison and you came to see me.' Then the virtuous will say to him in reply, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you; or thirsty and give you drink? When did we see you a stranger and make you welcome; naked and clothe you; sick or in prison and go to see you.' And the King will answer, 'I tell you solemnly, in so far as you did this to one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did it to me.'

No comments: