September 21, 2006

Playground Politics

I don't know if any of you have been paying attention to the U.N. over the past few days, but they been letting the world's leaders give fifteen minute speeches. The media has been focused on the US's George W. Bush, Iran's Mahmoud Ahmadinejad and Venezuela's Hugo Chavez. Dear God, between the three of them I couldn't tell if I was listening to world leaders or five-year-olds (apologies to five-year-olds everywhere). Between Bush's lecturing tone, Ahmadinehad's spew and Chavez' name-calling, I thought I had wandered into a world-stage version of "I know you are but who am I?" contest.

Worse yet, Bush and Ahmadinejad worked diligently to avoid accidentally running into each other, with Bush's Secret Service guys going so far as to get on the same radio frequency of Ahmadinejad's security detail so they could monitor Ahmadinejad whereabouts in order to avoid the two of them possibly running into each other in the lunch line or the men's room. What the hell is this, junior high???

If this is the caliber of our leadership, honest to God, we're doomed. And it begs the question...Bush, Ahmadinejad, and Chavez were democratically elected. Maybe this says more about us than them? Is this really what we want?

No comments: