December 15, 2006

It's not nice to fool Mother Nature

Wow. This is amazing. Breat cancer rates are falling dramatically. Why? It is theorized that the discontinuation of hormone therapy in post-menopausal women following the disastrous results of the Pempro study is the key ingredient. Seems that breast cancer thrives on estrogen, and continuing to take it after your body has stopped producing it isn't such a good thing.

I had never been a big fan of HRT (Hormone Replacement Therapy) as it seemed to imply that women's aging is a disease rather than the natural course of events (note, there is no corresponding treatment for aging men). The release of the study's results in 2002 clinched it for me and I figured that I was going to have to just embrace my crone-ness when the time came. This story assures me that I have made the right decision.

1 comment:

Graceful Butterfly said...

The problem is not just replacing the estogen that a woman no longer makes with estorgen she doen't make (natural or lab created). It is that we no longer produce progesterone to balance the estogen. It is for this reason that I do not eat soy products anymore - too much estrogen without the counterbalance of progresterone. I too am embracing my "Wise Woman" croneness and trusting inner wisdom more and more. Loving It.