April 30, 2007

An open letter to Senator Durbin

Subject: Sworn to secrecy?

Dear Senator Durbin,

I have wrestled with whether or not I would contact you for a couple of days now. After all, I am technically not your constituent as I am not a resident of Illinois. And yet, I am your constituent because I am a citizen of the United States of America. You work for all of us.

I am writing to express my horror, yes, horror, at your statement last week on the Senate floor regarding the run-up to the Iraq war and how, because you were sworn to secrecy, you could not tell us – the American people, that the information you were seeing in the Intelligence Committee was not the same information that the administration was spoon-feeding the American public and the media.

My first reaction was stunned silence, then shock. And then, anger flowed over me like a wave. And still, these many days later, my stomach turns. Your loyalty to an oath that should have taken a back seat to the one you took to uphold and defend the Constitution is just beyond comprehension. I expect the Bush administration to ignore the Constitution. After all, to George Bush, it’s just a “piece of paper.” And the actions of this administration leave no doubt in my mind that they care not a whit for anything except gaining and maintaining power.

But you? Sir, this takes my breath away.

I simply cannot understand why, given the possibility that we were about to send our fighting men and women into war, where death and injury would be a given, how could you and the rest of the Democrats on the intelligence committee just stand quietly by? Why you did not stand up and shout from the rooftops, “America, what you are hearing on the nightly news is NOT what we are hearing!” is mind-boggling. Lives were on the line. How would those words, sir, have revealed any secrets?

I appreciate your vote against the Iraq resolution. But sir, a no vote was merely the least you could have done.

I just don’t understand. WE don’t understand.

1 comment:

NV Mojo said...

Somehow I missed Durbin's statement. Good grief.