May 13, 2007

Whose choice?

Let's face it, every single one of us is "pro-choice." The argument really boils down to: Who gets to choose?

This is one of the most gut-wrenching posts I've read in a while. Gentleman poster expressing his view on choice, and then grabs us with his real-life story. A snippet:

So then there I was, facing the sort of choice that you usually see only in hypotheticals in ethics and philosophy classes. Only it was real. It was my wife. And I didn't have exactly a lot of time to think about it. It was just me and the clipboard. An empty line there, marked for my signature. My wife bleeding right next to me. The ultrasound of my baby, and its heartbeat, fresh in my mind from minutes before. I cannot begin to describe how I felt at that moment. One cannot know until you are in it. I won't even try. I hope I never feel that way again.

[...]

I sat there, wondering if I'd at least get my wife back after this. Then 20 minutes passed, and nothing. Thirty minutes. Forty. Forty five. I started to get worried and thought all sorts of horrible things that I will not put words to. Mainly, then, I start to think about the abortion debate. About pro-lifers, in particular. I think about all those meddling politicians that would want to interject themselves into everything that just happened to me, interject themselves between me, my wife, and her doctors.


Very powerful post. Read it.

2 comments:

Featheriver said...

I just read the post you refer to. "Powerful" is about as apt a description one could make.

My wife and I experienced the dilemma (though wholly different than an abortion issue) ourselves some years ago.

In the final analysis we each in life are left with such horrendous decisions all alone. Politicians and religious groups notwithstanding.

Thank you for the referrance to that blog post. I don't think I've ever read a more compelling post, including the comments made to it.

Mojo Rising said...

I read this yesterday, cls, and it haunted me all day today. Thanks for sharing it.