March 16, 2008

There was this other guy...

Barack Obama speaking of his "spiritual mentor" on Countdown with Keith Olbermann (3/14/2008):

"Now, one thing that I do hope to do is to use some of these issues to talk more fully about the question of race in our society, because part of what we're seeing here is Reverend Wright represents a generation that came of age in the 60s.

He's an African-American man, who, because of his life experience continues to have a lot of anger and frustration, and will express that in ways that are very different from me and my generation, partly because I benefited from the struggles of that early generation. And so, part of what we're seeing here is a transition from the past to the future."
From a poster over at Taylor Marsh:
Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.

And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!
pssst, Obama, don't blame your pastor's racist rhetoric on the 60s...see there was this other guy... ~
And if anyone believes that Barack Obama was not in church on September 16, 2001, I've got a bridge to sell you. Nearly everyone in the country was in church on September 16, 2001. Churches were packed to the rafters with Americans looking for comfort and community, trying to make sense of it all. Even me. Even my husband. And Barack wants us to believe that he wasn't sitting in the church that he had attended for over a decade that fateful Sunday in 2001 when his pastor shouted these words, "God Damn America!"?

2 comments:

Mike said...

Now with Oprah Winfrey (fellow Church member with Obama) putting on this extraordinary webcast with Eckhart Tolle, it's pretty silly to link Obama (or Winfrey) with Wright, don't you think?????

It don't get more mellow than Tolle!

Of course, now we may see a guilt by association number go this way:
Oprah loves Eckhart, Oprah loves Barack, so Barack must be a mush headed New Ager like Oprah!!!!
(And, we all know New Agers are so mush headed that THEY can't even come close to hating America!)

This is all too way funny.

BTW, check it out!
http://www.oprah.com

Maybe Tolle will be an influence that helps heal our Party?

carissa said...

Ah - "guilt by association" the new talking point? I've heard Barack say it too. So why does it NOT COUNT for Barack, but anyone that Hillary is held accountable for every word uttered by any of her supporters? Can you say "double standard?" I knew you could.

In this case, as in Rezko, this is not just a passing acquaintance, but a deep relationship that went on for twenty years. There is no spinning or minimizing this. Not to mainstream Americans.