May 9, 2008

Good luck with that


First you must go read this unbelieveable post by Chris Bowers. Go ahead. I'll wait.

Well, just as we suspected. The truth comes out. Looks like we working class folks are no longer needed in the new hopey, changey Democratic Party. Madamab has something to say about this. [Emphasis mine]

Oh, Chris, Chris, Chris.

I'm finding it hard to get by the first words of that paragraph, "Out with Bubbas, up with Creatives." Personally, as a middle-class, Jewish woman with a Master's Degree, I was unaware that I was a Bubba. And as a professional singer and web designer, I was also unaware of how uncreative I was compared to self-important, penilely-endowed Obama FanBoiz who practice illiterate and ahistorical mutual masturbation in their tiny echo chambers all day.

All right, I admit haven't gotten to the Sieg Heil part yet. I'm just so offended by the parts before it that I keep getting distracted. But finally, here it is as Bowers concludes his Beloved - and his bloggy followers, of course - will be the ones to lead the Plutocratic - I mean, New Democratic - Party.
These will be the type of people running the Democratic Party now, and it will be a big cultural shift from the white working class focus of earlier decades.
Oh.

My.

G.

The Democratic Party never focused on the white working class. They focused on the WORKING CLASS, PERIOD.

Democrats passed the Clean Air Act. The Clean Water Act. Jimmy Carter tried to get us off of foreign oil and on to solar energy. Democrats passed the Civil Rights Act. They got women and AA's the right to vote. They got us the 40-hour work week. In more recent history, Bill Clinton created tens of millions of jobs. He kept us from fighting unnecessary wars and forced the Democrats to balance the budget. He tried to give us universal health care. Is Bowers so monumentally stupid that he thinks these laws and rights benefited WHITE PEOPLE ONLY?????!!!!

If Democrats lose their focus on the working class, they are not New Democrats. They are Plutocrats, or in more modern terms, Republicans.
Madamab really goes to town on Chris Bowers and his ilk. If this is the future of the Democratic Party, where do I and most of the Democrats I know fit in?

Furthermore, dissing working class Democrats is a recipe for disaster in November.

Good luck with that.

ETA: Anglachel has some thoughts of her own which seems to sum up what's happening here quite succinctly:
This is philosophical revolution, one that is at its heart anti-democratic and anti-political. It is rising from a deep well of, for lack of a better term, Yankee Puritanism, something that has fueled great things and without which we would not have this country, democracy or even Democrats. I reach for religious language and examples to explain this, even as a large number of this contingent are functional atheists. At its root, we are looking at the separatism inherent in much Protestant political thought and causes. Instead of confronting difference and coming to an accord, the saints wish to banish the fallen from the world and thus make the world more perfect.

[...]

What I see rising from the other side is clearly of two kinds. Half of Obama's support is simply racial identity voting. The other half is from the faction of the party that is significantly insulated from the stark world of need and want. There is a love of the other-worldly where the beauty of the idea and the ideal matters more than the base. The political "base" is seen as base - low, uncouth, adulterated, impure, unworthy. They are not among the saved and the saints. I honestly cannot remember a previous time when so many people in the party were reviled for doing nothing except vote for a conventional candidate. These are not Naderites or Wallace supporters. They are middle-of-the-road solid Democrats who voted Kerry, Gore, Clinton, Clinton, Dukakis, Mondale, Carter, Carter, and so on down the line. The contempt of the saints for the fallen has always been there, but is emerging without a filter or much in the way of self-consciousness this time. The code we learned to speak in our liberal arts colleges falls to the wayside, and I read claims of being rid of the old evil "white working class" (What of us who are not that thing? What of those of us who are?) in a final conflict to end all conflicts and there will be a purified party to which will flock millions of new, young, untainted followers, ready to be led into the land of Goshen.


[+/-] There's more.../Ciao!

2 comments:

madamab said...

I am flattered and grateful for the bloggy goodness! Thank you! :-)

Glad to see I'm not the only outraged and horrified one.

The Red Queen said...

Hi darling! Did you miss me?

I may be poor and technically working class, but I write and paint and teach technology for a living. So I am obviously not creative at all. Nope.

And plutocracy is exactly right.

I think I smell class warfare in the air.