May 25, 2008

In the land of my youth

Well, almost. We arrived on O'ahu on Friday around noon, grabbed a quick lunch at Eagles (I had a Mahimahi sandwich complete with tossed salad and the standard Hawaiian salad dressing...kind of a French dressing but not quite). It was overcast and a bit foggy, so there was no chance of popping off to the beach that afternoon, so we headed to my MIL's home up in Pacific Heights. We got a tour of their new home and admired the view. The house is located so that it looks down on the back end of Pauoa Valley (where I went to elementary school), and we can see the back side of Punchbowl crater, where the National Cemetery of the Pacific is located. Sadly, Hawaii has not been having as much rain lately and Punchbowl has large patches of brown instead of being the emerald green jewel it usually is.

Our Kauai adventure on the flip side.

Kauai...

Early Saturday morning we hopped on a plane to Kauai, and that's where we are now. We spent most of the day tooling around. Our flight arrived in Lihue at a little after 7am, and when picking up our rental car I asked the gate attendant where was the best place to go for breakfast - local place - I was looking for Portuguese sausage and eggs with RICE. Num! He directed us to Dani's over on, yes, Rice Street. Heaven!

Since we couldn't check in to our accommodations until 4pm (!) we took a side trip in the other direction to see the Spouting Horn and then headed up to see Waimea Canyon. Gotta say, my MIL's husband is a former taxi driver and quite frankly, insane, so the winding road up to Waimea State Park left me ready to toss my breakfast and my weak plea from the back seat was that my Sweetie take us back down and could I please move to the front?

Still and all, the drive was worth it. Waimea Canyon is beautiful. Period.



A word about the chickens...

When picking up our rental car in Lihue, we noted a lone rooster wandering through the parking lot. "How uniquely Hawaiian!" we all laughed. At the Spouting Horn, we saw more chickens: Roosters! Hens! and chicks! Cameras snapping away! In fact, nearly every where we went, chickens, chickens and more chickens! Including, our time share in Princeville. Yes dear reader, I returned to my Kahaluu roots this morning waking to the sound of a rooster concerto, distant at first and then, finally our own building rooster just below our window made it clear that the time to rise had come!

On a serious note...

While composing this post the 7:00 hour came with the playing of taps and a Hawaiian chant to honor those Americans who have given their lives in service to our country.

I wish I was on O'ahu this weekend. When I was a schoolgirl in Hawaii, we had a tradition that all the school children would make leis to lay on all the graves of the military buried in Punchbowl. It was a wonderful tradition and I remember going to neighbors' homes to pluck plumeria blossoms from the trees in their yard, stringing my leis and taking them to school the next day. I hope this tradition has been carried on.



More for you all later.


[+/-] Expand/Collapse

8 comments:

The Red Queen said...

brown patches or not- I hope you're having a blast.

Matthew said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Matthew said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Red Queen said...

Blue darling- if you wouldn't mind I seem to have had a troll turn into a full fledged stalker.

Thanks!

carissa said...

RQ - we are having a great time! I will post again tomorrow on Kaua'i, Day II.

randombabble.com said...

ZOMG! we are getting more than enough rain in the Mililani area. but you are soooo right, the fog is downright unbearable!

i didn't know you grew up here!

hope you had a great trip!

i can't believe i have lived here three years and haven't been island hopping yet.

Cathylee said...

Happy Carissa's Eve!

Desert Beacon said...

While sitting here with the furnace on pumping through the kilowatt hours to maintain 65 degrees F in this place... I.Am.Just.A.Bit.Envious. But, ignore me and have a good time anyway.