June 21, 2008

Obama and the Supreme Court

This is troubling.

Cass Sunstein is an advisor for Obama for America? That is extremely troubling as Cass Sunstein holds views that I believe should be anathema to most progressives.
In the comments it is mentioned that Sunstein is often mentioned as Obama's first SCOTUS pick.
That is a scary thought (5.00 / 3) (#57)
by talex on Sat Jun 21, 2008 at 10:13:36 AM EST

Although Presidents do tend to nominate those who are in within their circle of influence. And that is the case here.

As others have said here if their was one reason to vote for Obama over McCain it would be because of their choice for the SCOTUS. But in this case if it were Sunstein then we no longer have that reason to vote for Obama.

It could be correctly argued that it would be easier for a Democratic majority to beat back a bad McCain nomination than it would for them to beat back a nomination from a Democratic President.

Think about that people.
And:
My oh my (5.00 / 6) (#23)
by hookfan on Sat Jun 21, 2008 at 09:29:27 AM EST

and the reasons for women to vote for Obama seem to be getting less and less. I thought SCOTUS was the big reason to vote for Obama. Couple this with his change on withdrawal from Iraq, flip on Nafta and campaign finance, and now fisa, explain to me again why a progressive would vote for Obama? Is the only reason to be against McCain?

I'm through. I won't vote for Obama now. Nor will I support a party that has brought us this debacle. Where will I go? I dunno. Guess I will wander in the wilderness for awhile. . .

1 comment:

pocochina said...

I know I should be all hard-bitten and seen it all by this point, but I actually sat here gasping for air for a second. No. No, no, no.

I 'spose we can kiss our reproductive rights goodbye regardless.